You should see a doctor about:
- new lumps
- changes in the shape of your breast
- changes in the colour of your breast
- changes in the nipple
- discharge from the nipple
- puckering or dimpling of breast skin
- any persistent breast pains
- any persistent nipple or breast itching or rash.
BreastScreen Tasmania is part of BreastScreen Australia – a national breast screening program that aims to continue to reduce deaths from breast cancer through early detection of the disease.
BreastScreen Tasmania provides a free screening mammogram every two years to women between the age of 50 and 74 years throughout Tasmania. While women in the target age group are particularly encouraged to participate, all women over the age of 40 years are eligible for the program.
If you would like to register for an appointment, please phone 13 20 50.
Please note that BreastScreen Tasmania can only provide a free breast screening mammogram for women:
- over the age of 40 years
- with no breast symptoms, such as a lump, pain or nipple discharge
- who have not already had a mammogram in the past 12 months
If you do not meet these requirements, our doctors can assess the best option for your needs.
In most cases if you have breast implants you can have regular breast screens. Please let BreastScreen Tasmania aware of your implants at the time of booking.